The recorded ramblings of an unschooled writer, aspiring biologist, amateur equestrian, ardent bookworm, avid music appreciator, increasingly addicted runner and college student spending the summer in Ely, MN.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Yes, I'm from “Or-uh-gone”.

May 10, 2010, 6:30 pm

Well, I’m just sitting here waiting for my rice to finish cooking so I can fuel up on rice, beans, tortillas and salsa before heading out for an evening run. My marathon training plan dictates that I do five miles tonight…we’ll see if that actually happens or not…

Galen looks to be an even more awesome roommate than I even initially expected. He made us fabulous banana/kiwi/peanut butter smoothies this morning that were tasty enough to rival my own smoothies, which kind of pains me to admit as I consider making mixed fruity drinks with blenders one of the things I am best at!

Work was mostly a lot of sitting around, filling out paper work, reading information about wolves and learning the opening/closing procedures for the center. I’m not in a bad mood, but feeling a little restless and cranky as I don’t feel like I’ve done much of anything lately. Tomorrow I will start preparing my presentations and I start actually giving talks to visitors on Friday (and will then be doing ALL of the days’ presentations next Monday and Tuesday), so things should get very busy, very quickly.

I’m still missing not having internet at the house, which is a silly, petty sort of thing to be concerned about, especially given the safari internet situation of earlier this year.

I walked home from work today and despite having really no idea which way to go or which fork in the trail to take to get back to my road, I managed to travel in almost the most direct route possible. Perhaps I do have a decent sense of direction after all!

My first Ely grocery shopping experience was rather memorable. Outside of the store (a “Northland” supermarket) is a sign advertising its wonderful deli cold cuts and specialty meats, so not exactly my cup of tea (or should that be “bite of tofu”? in this situation?). I also got a lot of odd looks because I’d brought my own reusable bag for groceries, which I didn’t see anyone else in the store doing, but the lady ringing up my groceries caught a glimpse of my “Or-uh-gone” driver’s license and that seemed to explain everything.

I also found a stretch of town that somewhat resembles a hill – it will have to become a regular part of my running route otherwise I’ll be in bad shape by the time I make it back to Portland!

-Hill!

No comments:

Post a Comment