The recorded ramblings of an unschooled writer, aspiring biologist, amateur equestrian, ardent bookworm, avid music appreciator, increasingly addicted runner and college student spending the summer in Ely, MN.

Monday, November 9, 2009

I'm trying, I'm trying...

November 9, 2009

Today has been largely uneventful. Mostly I’ve spent it online, trying my very best to catch up on blogging, e-mails and plan my after the program travel. I’ve also been continuing my ridiculous, oh-my-God I’ve been starving for three days sort of eating patterns where basically I’ve been horrifying everyone around me by eating mass quantities of everything as my body is in recovery apparently needing a million calories mode.

There were two entertaining incident however, that deserves writing about. Today, while walking the half an hour to the Shop Rite to buy dried fruit for safari snacks with Meryl, Rachel, Peggy, Lisa, Elly and Michael, some random guy on the street put his arm around my shoulders and started trying to walk me away from the group. Both Rachel and I yelled at him and shoved him off of me and then he grabbed onto Rachel’s arm and wouldn’t let go until Meryl who was walking about 10 feet in front of us turned around marched back to him and told him to stop it in a stern and menacing manner that made him immediately flee the scene. What a wonderful friend!

The second event occurred while Meryl and I were walking back to the hotel. Being back in the city means we are getting used to having “Mzungu! Mzungu!” yelled at us over and over again and already we are really sick of having people try to sell us stuff. So anyways, after the large group had gone to McMoody’s for lunch together (and been sorely disappointed by the fact that they were out of milkshakes!), Meryl and I headed back to the hotel together and as we were walking along heard someone screaming “Mzungu!” at us repeatedly. We walked on, looking ahead and trying to ignore him, but he was so persistant that eventually Meryl turned him around flipped him off. Turns out, it was Habibu, one of the hilarious safari drivers, on his way home from the Dorobo office! He had pulled over on the opposite side of the road and was waving us over. We ran across the street and he gave us a ride back to the hotel! Thanks, Habibu!

Well, not much to report other than that. Its time for more food because I’m feeling light headed and hungry already! This intense hunger better stop soon or I really will gain the East Africa weight I think I’ve managed thus far to mostly avoid!

-Hill!

PS All of the Maasai homestay entries, etc. might not be up before I leave tomorrow morning, but I will try my best!

No comments:

Post a Comment