The recorded ramblings of an unschooled writer, aspiring biologist, amateur equestrian, ardent bookworm, avid music appreciator, increasingly addicted runner and college student spending the summer in Ely, MN.

Monday, August 17, 2009

I'm gonna write you a letter...

I'm gonna write you a letter,
I'm gonna write you a book,
I wanna see your reaction,
I wanna see how it looks.
- "Amsterdam" by Guster

Hey Everyone,
I leave for East Africa in thirteen days. That doesn't even seem possible. Up until last week, I kept telling people that I was going to Kenya "next year" or "next fall", which is really not the case at all!
I really hope this blog will be a good way to keep in touch with friends and family back home and give everyone some idea of what I'm up to on my adventure. Originally, I wasn't sure if I wanted to try to do a blog at all on my trip, but especially after having a fabulous, end of summer/going away party earlier today and seeing so many of the wonderful people in my life all in the same place at the same time, I realized that the very least I can do is write a quick note home now and then :) I wouldn't be able to go if it weren't for all of the different ways everyone has supported me in my decision to study abroad for the semester, so I hope this way I can share at least a little bit of the experience.
I am so excited about going, but am also starting to get a little bit nervous. I'm also sad that I'll be taking a bit of a break from horses. I've had such a fantastic time this summer doing all sorts of riding and it will be very strange not to have that be part of my life! I am hopeful though, that this trip will open me up to all sorts of new, non-riding experiences that I would never have the chance to try at home. And I do know that Spector and other ponies will be waiting for me when I get home.

-Hill

1 comment:

  1. yeah, all of a sudden it's switched from 'i'm going next semester' to 'i'm going next week!' i cannot believe it. aah!

    ReplyDelete