The recorded ramblings of an unschooled writer, aspiring biologist, amateur equestrian, ardent bookworm, avid music appreciator, increasingly addicted runner and college student spending the summer in Ely, MN.

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Goin' places that I've never been...

Goin' places that I've never been.
Seein' things that I may never see again
- "On The Road Again" by Willie Nelson

So, for those of you who have been asking what will be doing in Africa/where I will be going, here is a much more through explanation than I have ever provided verbally.

For the first three weeks of the trip, I will be living with a host family in Nairobi and taking Swahili classes, hopefully learning a lot about the language and the culture and making new friends. The next three weeks will be spent traveling coastal Kenya and Tanzania (with stops for sure in Pemba, Zanzibar and Mombassa) doing quite a bit of snorkeling and learning about coral reef ecology as well as experiencing island and coastal life in East Africa through shorter homestays and just learning about the culture of the area, which I've heard is very different from that of Nairobi.

Then we head inland for about 3 weeks of safari/grassland ecology. After that, there is another homestay, this time with a Masaai family in their village, another chance to experience yet another different culture within East Africa. Then, the bio group heads off for a bit more time (2 weeksish, going by the online schedule) on safari and then catches one last week along the coast before joining the rest of the group at Arusha for our end of trip retreat. Then I have sometime for whatever addtional adventures may occur in East Africa before I head home.

It is so strange to have typed this all out. I feel equal parts excitement because this finally seeming real and disbelief because in some ways it still seems there is no way that this is really happening!

-Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment